Discover CATF’s Country Methane Abatement Tool
CoMAT is an intuitive, easy to use tool that empowers governments with the ability to estimate how much methane pollution they can reduce from their country’s oil and gas industries, even when they have limited information about the industry and its current emissions.
The methane challenge
Methane emissions are 80x more damaging than carbon dioxide in the short term and reducing them is critical for our planet to stay within the 1.5 degree warming threshold. Deep and rapid cuts to methane emissions are essential to limiting and reducing peak warming.
CoMAT addresses some of the most significant barriers that governments face around emissions estimates, abatement potential projections and moving policies forward to reduce methane pollution.
It’s easy to use, informative and impactful
CoMAT is free to use, intuitive and 100% customizable for any country. This tool uses the best available information and allows you to explore variables and specific policy options that will lead to emission reductions.
Here is how the tool works
- Start with general information about current oil and gas production and consumption in your country – or use projections for a future year.
- Add in more detailed information about your oil and gas infrastructure: number of wells, compressor stations, miles of pipeline.
- Tailor the equipment inventory already built into CoMAT based on your on-the-ground knowledge of oil and gas operations in your country. Any unavailable information can be estimated with the tool’s default parameters.
- Modify values to best reflect your country’s unique case. You can make estimates using CoMAT’s default assumptions or modify them based on additional information specific to your country.
- Explore the tool’s mitigation planning functionality and design your country’s Methane Abatement Plan by using your emissions estimate and available leading global policies and proven best practices.
- View potential mitigation reduction potentials by emission source.
- Review leading methane policies and regulatory requirements by using CoMAT’s fully digitized Policy Library.
- Gain access to industry resources, definitions and view how CoMAT’s calculations work via the information tags spread across the platform.
- Collaborate with other participants and experts by leaving notes, comments and sharing resources.
The CoMAT software makes a complex problem more simple, efficient and organized by allowing you to explore methane mitigation solutions that can help you meet your country’s climate commitments and decarbonization goals.
Gain access to top experts
CATF’s experts are available and ready to collaborate and work closely with you, your government, civil society, other NGOs, and interested stakeholders throughout every step of the process — at no cost.
With our team by your side, you will be able to use this highly customizable tool to assess needs, inform policies and move forward effective solutions that lead to significant emission reductions today.
Let’s get started!
Learn more about CoMAT and how it can support your methane emission reduction goals.
Contact us today to schedule a CoMAT demo session!
"*" indicates required fields
CATF’s Methane Pollution Prevention program
CATF’s methane initiatives are aimed at reducing pollutants that will have the greatest impact on warming the planet over the near term and offer the most promising targets for immediate cleanup. Learn more about our methane work and mitigation efforts.