Open letter urges next German Government to develop CO2 Strategy
Clean Air Task Force supports an open letter calling on the next German government to develop a carbon capture and storage strategy.
The letter calls on the next German government to take three key measures to develop carbon management technologies as part of a major effort to decarbonise Germany’s industrial sector:
- Develop a German CO2 strategy and regulatory framework for CO2 capture, transport and (interim) storage, including the development of a national and cross-border CO2 transport infrastructure and the removal of regulatory barriers for industrial carbon capture utilization and storage projects aiming at climate neutrality;
- Introduce Carbon Contracts for Difference (CCfD) as a key funding instrument for industrial carbon capture utilization and storage projects aiming at climate neutrality, in order to support the development of first carbon capture utilization and storage industry “clusters” and therefore the transformation;
- Start a societal dialogue to address the various perspectives on climate protection technologies, the transformation needed and to promote a balance.
CATF signs the open letter alongside 12 other NGOs and industry organisations:
- Bellona Europa
- BV Glas
- Deutscher Verein des Gas- und Wasserfaches
- FNB Gas
- Interessengemeinschaft der Thermischen Abfallbehandlungsanlagen in Deutschland e.V.
- BV Kalk
- Stiftung 2 Grad
- Verband der Chemischen Industrie e.V.
- Verein Deutscher Zementwerke e.V
- Verband der Industriellen Energie- & Kraftwirtschaft
- Wirtschaftsvereinigung Stahl
- Zukunft Gas