Climate Pollution Reduction Grants: A Holistic Approach to Emissions Reductions in the Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicle Sector
The Climate Pollution Reduction Grant (CPRG) program presents a historic opportunity for states and municipalities to develop and implement climate plans. Jurisdictions can maximize the impact of these efforts by taking a holistic approach to reducing emissions in any sector they wish to target. The fact sheet below offers a framework for applying such a holistic approach to advance a clean medium- and heavy-duty vehicle (MHDV) sector, a framework applicable for developing CPRG-related plans and implementation grant applications.
A holistic approach can include measures in each of the following categories:
- Critical analysis. Conduct analyses to identify focus areas for decarbonization and to ensure complementary programs are well designed and implemented.
- Regulatory programs. Develop, staff, and enforce regulatory programs that ensure emission reductions.
- Financial incentives. Provide subsidies and loans, enforce fees, and enable other mechanisms that improve the underlying economics of decisions to deploy clean technologies.
- Economic and community benefits. Ensure community benefits and develop the workforce necessary for long-term viability of decarbonization technologies.
- Leveraging additional funding sources. Leverage non-CPRG sources of funding to maximize impact and develop the strongest grant applications.