Position Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Communications Director, U.S.
Type: Full-time position
Location: Remote; flexible within the U.S.
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a nonprofit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of 100+ experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable. CATF is headquartered in Boston, and has offices in Washington D.C. and Brussels with staff working virtually around world.
We seek a skilled and experienced communications professional to provide support to our teams working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and advance an expanded suite of carbon-free technologies, including carbon capture, zero-carbon fuels, nuclear energy, and superhot rock energy. The ideal candidate will have managed communications in a fast-paced, mission-driven advocacy organization and excel at both rapid response communications and proactive communications campaigns. They will have an understanding of the energy sector and the need to develop additional solutions to achieve full decarbonization. They will have expertise working with subject matter experts to develop communications strategies and plans and will be comfortable managing editorial calendars and writing and editing op-eds, blogs, press releases, statements, pitches, campaign materials, and social media content on tight deadlines.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and manage CATF communications efforts around our global work to advance critical carbon-free solutions and other climate protecting technologies, including methane abatement, carbon capture, zero-carbon fuels, nuclear energy, and superhot rock energy.
- Write and edit persuasive, accurate, and on-message communications materials to advance CATF’s goals.
- Support strategic communications and messaging development for CATF, working in conjunction with the Communications Directors, Program Directors, and Advocacy Directors, and with public affairs and external consultants.
- Coordinate communications efforts within other CATF programs and regional teams, and manage internal processes to efficiently deliver relevant thought-leadership, stories, and insights to key targeted audiences.
- Devise, project manage, and execute outreach plans for select CATF reports, white papers, and campaigns.
- Work with program and event leads to develop content, messaging, and promotions for both in-person and online events.
- Work closely with Digital Manager and other members of the Communications & Marketing team to draft content for CATF website (blogs and landing pages), earned media (pitches and press releases), social media (posts), campaign and email marketing (copy).
- Coordinate messaging and public outreach with other partners; identify potential partnerships with other organizations to amplify key issues and CATF’s theory of change.
- Expand CATF’s media relations capacity by cultivating and enhancing relationships with target climate, energy, and policy reporters.
- Develop earned media materials, build media lists, pitch CATF insights and experts to reporters.
- Proactively leverage news-making moments to drive awareness and interest in CATF’s work across diverse set of target audiences such as policymakers, industry influencers, donors/funders, and decision-makers.
- Provide communications and marketing support as needed, writing content, developing materials, and supporting the implementation and coordination of campaigns.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver audience-centric communication plans for individual and cross-programmatic initiatives by leveraging diverse channels, including media relations, social, events, campaigns, and partnerships.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least five (5) years experience in communications, preferably with experience working in policy advocacy, energy, or climate change
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience securing top tier media coverage; active relationships with climate, energy, and policy reporters preferred
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong communications skills
- Excellent judgment and ability to communicate to a diverse, policy, industry, and stakeholder audience
- Excellent collaboration skills and ability to work within a team
- Ability to manage multiple competing deadlines and complex projects
- Passion for CATF’s mission to push the technology and policy changes needed to achieve a zero-emissions, high-energy planet at an affordable cost
Compensation and Location:
This is a remote, full-time position flexible within the U.S. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Please follow this link to submit a resume, cover letter referencing the position title, and contact information for two to three professional and/or academic references.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.