Strategy and Technical Associate, Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
Position Title: Strategy and Technical Associate, Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
Reports To: Energy Transition Director, MENA
Location: Remote; flexible within the Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a nonprofit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of 100+ experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable. CATF is headquartered in Boston, and has offices in Washington D.C. and Brussels with staff working virtually around world.
The Strategy and Technical Associate will work closely with MENA and European staff, project leaders, and issue experts based in MENA, Europe, and the United States, and partner organizations to help execute advocacy strategies in support of CATF’s program goals and objectives in the region. The hire will support the development and promotion of climate objectives in MENA and enabling policy in European and Southeast Asian markets to expand the deployment of clean energy technologies for the decarbonization of energy markets for challenging-to-decarbonize markets, whilst working with the rest of the team to ensure the reflection of the evolving technical and commercial dynamics.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Help facilitate the creation of content and provide input into project design and highlight the environmental benefits of technologies such as hydrogen hubs projects, carbon management, and other advanced energy technologies in the MENA region
- The role will coordinate directly with project implementers at an industry and government level in the MENA region to develop supporting information and recommendations to advocate for effective project selection criteria
- Understand and promote the role of zero-carbon fuels and carbon management technologies, and others that support decarbonization for hard-to-decarbonize sectors within the MENA context
- Engage and map relevant MENA stakeholders to identify technical roadblocks to the production and scaling of zero-carbon fuels
- Coordinate internal cross-programmatic engagement with CATF colleagues, synthesize learnings from various regions, and best practices
- Engage with technology providers and licensors of zero-carbon fuels production technologies to track developments and required R&D efforts across the entire value chain
- Inform technical discussion around development of these technologies with stakeholders in both the private sector as well as government and community
- Strategy implementation – support the MENA and global teams on the execution of policy and markets strategies on behalf of the programs
- Organizational and administrative tasks – organize and coordinate outreach meetings with policy makers
- Written Materials – collaborate with CATF government affairs and communications teams to work on proactive announcements and reactive statements, writing and/or editing comment letters, fact sheets, and other material for advocacy meetings, and providing input on press statements, press releases, blogs, and other written material for distribution to news media and/or posting on CATF website
- Translate complex technical issues related to the decarbonization into material for a broader audience that can be used in CATF’s advocacy efforts
- Support CATF’s policy team on education on MENA as needed
- Advanced science degree, PhD or Masters with relevant successful professional experience in any of MENA’s energy industries
- Experience in the MENA region and an understanding of the key stakeholders and influencers
- Interest and experience in climate/clean energy policy, advocacy, MENA energy, energy transition, or philanthropy, including familiarity with climate innovation policies and emerging clean energy technologies is an advantage
- An understanding of production pathways and relevant connections across industries and governments
- Background in technical, consulting, or research area, preferably in MENA, SE Asia and U.S./Europe
- Technical familiarity with industrial processes and clusters, as well as with decarbonized and renewable energy technologies
- Capable of working and collaborating in a virtual office environment; willingness to travel extensively within MENA region
- English proficiency, and other languages such as Arabic is a plus
- Consistent follow-through, and a commitment to high-quality work
- Entrepreneurial and self-starting/self-management approach to work requiring minimal supervision
- Passion for CATF’s mission
Compensation and Location:
This is a full-time, remote position located within the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Please follow this link to submit a resume, cover letter referencing the position title, and contact information for two to three professional and/or academic references.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.