Policy Manager, Methane (Flexible within Africa)
POSITION: Policy Manager, Methane
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: International Director, Methane
LOCATION: Flexible within Africa (or possibly Europe)
ABOUT CATF AND THE SUPER POLLUTANTS TEAM:
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a non-profit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector.
CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of 70+ experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable.
CATF is chartered in the US and Netherlands, and operates globally throughout Europe, Asia, Canada, Latin America, and in multilateral international forums. CATF was the first NGO globally to focus on reducing methane and other short-lived climate pollutants. Taken together, efforts to reduce super pollutants globally could prevent more than half a degree C of warming, while also delivering numerous additional public health and ecological benefits. Alongside our team of experts, we leverage an extensive network of collaborators in civil society, industry, academia and government. CATF is well known for its work targeting the oil and gas sector, which represents the largest industrial methane source worldwide. We built coalitions and provided technical expertise that led to methane policies in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico and we helped catalyze and support the Global Methane Pledge, which launched at COP26 with more than 100 countries participating.
CATF has developed the Country Methane Abatement Tool (CoMAT) to support countries in gaining a full picture of their unique oil and gas industry profile and associated methane emissions, and to help guide policymakers in creating a mitigation plan that is tailored to their specific situation. CoMAT makes this complicated problem more tractable, and it forms the keystone that supports CATF’s international methane advocacy, which is largely based on one-on-one connections with regulators, around a scalable and replicable process.
Using CoMAT, our knowledge of technical solutions, and examples of strong policies from around the world, the Policy Specialist will advocate for ambitious, technically sound regulations and other concrete policies to reduce methane emissions, seeking to reduce emissions as much as possible and establish more ambitious precedents. This advocacy will be carried out in Africa, focused on Nigeria, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Angola, and Cameroon. This could change based on the selected candidates’ input and networks. The Policy Specialist will be expected to cultivate and nurture new opportunities in their region, networking extensively. The Policy Specialist will also represent CATF in a variety of venues including public forums, conferences, stakeholder meetings, and media events.
Collaborates with the global policy team to perform direct decision-maker advocacy in Africa (with a focus on Nigeria, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Angola, and Cameroon):
- Create new opportunities for engagement throughout the continent by networking and cultivating relationships with key stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the Super Pollutant team, advocate for ambitious policies to reduce emissions of methane and black carbon in a variety of different policy venues.
- Meet regularly and follow up with staff from key agencies to present technical information, policy-relevant research and reports, and to advocate for and report back to CATF on the status of policies to reduce emissions of methane and other super pollutants.
- Identify opportunities to answer policy-relevant questions.
- Draft and present regulatory comments and testimony.
- Help to identify key learnings and best practices to continually improve our global engagement.
- Utilized Africa focuses international forums to leverage both policy action as well as development of new projects.
Represent CATF in meetings and public venues:
- Provide expert input at public forums and present on behalf of CATF at conferences and meetings, as needed.
- Communicate with members of the media on policy matters, in coordination with the Communications Director.
- Collaborates with the CoMAT technical team (including Technical Analysts, Senior Scientist, and Senior Analyst) to communicate results of technical analyses
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physical science, life science, environmental policy or environmental law.
- More than 10 years of experience preferred, including experience in environmental / EHS advocacy.
- Strong analytical skills and strong negotiation skills.
- Technical familiarity with one or more of the following subjects:
- Oil and gas industry processes, emissions, or regulation;
- Processes, emissions, or regulations applying to another industrial sector with significant greenhouse gas emissions.
- Self-starter who enjoys taking initiative and helping others.
- Consistent follow-through, and a commitment to high-quality work.
- Avid networker skilled at building trust with a wide range of people with a preference for candidates with existing networks in several major African countries.
- Successful lobbying/advocacy experience in the region of the role.
- Strong computer skills, including comfort with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent written and oral communications and interpersonal skills.
- Valid passport and ability to travel up to 25 percent of the time are essential.
- English fluency, fluency in French or Portuguese a plus, but not required.
- Passion for CATF’s mission.
COMPENSATION AND LOCATION:
This is a full-time, funding-dependent position. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. The location for this position is flexible within Africa and potentially within Europe. CATF provides equal employment opportunities.
Please follow this link to submit a resume, cover letter referencing the position title, and contact information for two to three professional and/or academic references.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.