Head of Human Resources, U.S.
Position Title: Head of Human Resources, U.S.
Reports To: Chief of People
Type: Full-time position
Location: Remote within the U.S., Eastern Time Zone required
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a global nonprofit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. With over 25 years of internationally recognized expertise on climate policy and a fierce commitment to exploring all potential solutions, CATF is a pragmatic, non-ideological advocacy group with the bold ideas needed to address climate change.
CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of over 100 experts and advocates (and global network of partners) put research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. CATF is headquartered in Boston, with staff working virtually across the U.S. and internationally in eleven countries (and growing).
CATF is seeking an experienced Human Resource professional to support our 80+ U.S.-based employees working across 28 states. The core purpose of this role will be to manage all the aspects of Human Resources in the U.S. from maintaining employee satisfaction to maximizing employee productivity and ensuring the HR function is supporting CATF in achieving its objectives. The scope of the role includes administering and maintaining HR plans and all U.S.-based HR processes, systems, and procedures in accordance with local employment laws and CATF’s strategic goals. This role will be expected to contribute to the development of overall CATF policies, to support organizational development initiatives within HR, and as an HR team member, support the work of centers of expertise with the Human Resources function (Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, and Compensation and Reward Management).
The ideal candidate will thrive in a complex and fast-paced environment and be excited to contribute to the rapid growth of the organization. The role is a demanding one which requires managing a complex and diverse workload and the skill and ability to remain calm under pressure, problem solve, and prioritize. The ideal candidate will genuinely enjoy people, they will exhibit empathy, maturity, and flexibility, and be an exceptional communicator.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide advice on U.S. HR issues in line with overall CATF strategy and philosophy (employee relations, compensation, benefits, etc.)
- Support all HR processes and procedures for U.S.-based employees, including position creation, recruitment, employment offers, employee on-boarding, compensation and benefits administration, employee safety, and employee relations
- Provide or obtain advice on local employment regulations, with the support of general counsel
- Contribute to the development of employee policies and procedures, and implement at local level as well as educate employees and monitor compliance
- Ensure equity and consistency across HR practices and policies
- Support hiring managers with recruitment and selection activities
- Contribute to the design and execution of a diversity, equity, and inclusion program
- Provide support in disciplinary issues arising locally
- Conduct relevant local trainings on CATF programs developed by Centers of Excellence
- Serve as a main point of contact for Professional Employer Organization in the U.S. (ADP)
- Human Resource related degree or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a similar role
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. employment law and regulations
- Experience working in nonprofits a plus
- Experience in a fast-growing or start-up organization a plus
- Strong communications skills; ability to communicate at all levels
- Strong interpersonal and people skills
- Rigor, organization, and problem solving
- Flexibility and ability to handle pressure and change
- Diplomacy and tact
- Self-starter who enjoys taking initiative and helping others
- Consistent follow-through, and a commitment to high-quality work
- Displays a high degree of empathy and emotional intelligence, is an active listener
- Maintains a service/customer-centric approach
- Passion for CATF’s mission
Compensation and Location:
This is a full-time position. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Please follow this link to submit a resume, cover letter referencing the position title, and contact information for two to three professional and/or academic references.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.