Head of Accounting
Position Title: Head of Accounting
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Type: Full-time position
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a nonprofit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. Our team of 90+ experts and advocates put this mission into action through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink impact on the planet’s atmosphere. We are an entrepreneurial, innovative, and global organization with highly decentralized, global, senior-level professional staff.
This role will support the COO and provide information about all company financial activities, both domestic and international. We have staff located across the U.S., in many EU countries plus the U.K., and soon, in other countries around the world. This position requires an entrepreneurial approach, superb problem-solving skills, and the ability to anticipate needs by frequently engaging with staff, to help increase the efficiency of our financial processes. The ideal candidate must have the initiative to move tasks forward independently, keeping track of external or self-imposed deadlines, clearly communicating needs or assignment to others, circling back with reminders, and engaging in closed loop communications when a task is completed.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and reconcile banking and credit card activity
- Review and record donor contributions and pledges
- Create journal entries and assist COO in all month-end and year-end activities
- Review accounts payable for validity and proper recording
- Assist COO with annual financial audit, including preparation and fieldwork
- Oversee grant activity including reporting, expenses, and adherence to budget
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, employee expense reports, cash control, payroll processing and payroll tax compliance
- Oversee accounts receivable activity to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including billings, cash receipts application, donations, and grant funding, etc.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls to adhere to GAAP and Federal Grant Compliance requirements
- Maintain chart of accounts and project/grant listing for organization
- Monitor time and effort spreadsheets and create journal entries
- Respond to COO with accurate and timely work to facilitate the organization’s financial needs
- Assist COO in development, maintenance, and implementation of accounting policies and procedures
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports
- Effectively communicate and establish, maintain, and develop productive working relationship with co-workers, leadership, clients, and others
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Minimum 7 years of experience in accounting and finance
- Grant fund and nonprofit accounting experience highly desired
- Advanced Quickbooks, Excel and Word skills highly desired
- Ability to work remotely in a global, fast-paced, organization
- International accounting experience highly desired
- Superior time management and communications skill
- Knowledge and experience using wide variety of digital tools and platforms
- Must be able to work independently, multitask and have the ability to meet deadlines
- Passion for CATF’s mission
Compensation and Location:
This is a full-time position. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. The location for this position is flexible.
Please follow this link to submit a resume, cover letter referencing the position title, and contact information for two to three professional and/or academic references.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.