About CATF: Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a non-profit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. With nearly 25 years of nationally and internationally recognized expertise on clean air policy and regulations and a fierce commitment to fully exploring all potential solutions, CATF is an environmental advocacy group with the bold ideas needed today to solve the climate crisis.
About the Position: CATF seeks a Development Coordinator to help transform a new and burgeoning base of individual giving into a sustainable income stream to support our program and organizational needs. Over the past two years, CATF has seen a rapid infusion of individual donations, driven primarily by endorsements from the Effective Altruism community and widely publicized via traditional news and social media. These new CATF donors are largely motivated by the concept of ‘effective giving’ – supporting organizations that demonstrate data-driven goals, measurable results, and high impact-to-spending ratios. Our donors are based in the US and internationally and come to us from an array of sources, including our website, online and workplace giving platforms, and aggregator charities, which have endorsed CATF and accept donations on our behalf. This is an exciting opportunity to help build a major effort at CATF from the bottom up, while at the same time becoming expert in this rising trend in philanthropic giving.
The ideal candidate for this position will have experience in donor cultivation and stewardship, but more importantly will be inspired by the opportunity to engage with this next generation of philanthropists through creative donor communications and marketing. As CATF’s Development Coordinator, you will be charged with assisting to create and execute CATF’s individual and major gifts strategy in coordination with CATF’s leadership and fundraising team. In this role, you will design and implement processes for individual and major gift identification, cultivation, and solicitation activities. Proficiency with donor development systems and protocols is required, as is a high level of professionalism and attention to detail. You will be tasked with assisting our executive director in managing a portfolio of major donors; building a prospect pipeline via detailed research and relationship management tools; helping to secure new major gifts; and establishing stewardship practices for our existing major donors. You will also directly manage our broader pool of small donors; implementing processes, establishing timelines, developing templates and collateral for donor interactions; managing all communications; and implementing moves management processes to grow support from this donor base. You will also create and manage campaigns and possibly events, to expand our donor base and increase revenue.
You will support our executive director and program staff with their fundraising efforts, which will require highly effective communications skills both within and outside the organization. The Development Coordinator will work closely with CATF’s existing fundraising and communications staff, program staff, leadership team, and board members to make this new program a success. Most importantly, as this is a new position at CATF, the Development Coordinator will be prepared from day one to join a small, entrepreneurial team of problem solvers, be willing to handle all tasks necessary for successful donor development and think creatively and strategically about how to get the job done.
- Manage cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship processes for prospective and current donors
- Implement moves-management processes that generate first time gifts, secure renewals, and increase existing donor contributions
- Help with developing and executing a strategy for CATF’s Individual Giving and Major Gifts efforts
- Conduct research and prospect leads to create entry into and expand our reach into donor networks
- Work to expand donor audiences and build a robust donor pipeline via effective altruism groups, social media, and other sources
- Schedule and organize meetings/contacts with prospects/donors, including helping to prepare briefing materials with other staff, and aiding the Executive Director, program directors, and board members with meetings/contacts with donors
- Monitor and track progress with prospects/donors utilizing CRM (Salesforce)
- Manage reporting requirements, working with program staff and development team to compose and submit timely reports to donors and advisors
- Manage relationships with donor aggregators, including meeting reporting requirements and working with the team to engage in joint marketing efforts or events
- Build and maintain relationships with Donor Advised Fund advisors
- Work with the communications team, program staff, and marketing consultants to develop various forms of fundraising collateral and templates for donor communications
- Help manage donor-focused communications and outreach campaigns via social media platforms, website postings, CATF newsletter, and other means
- Travel as required (overnight, domestic, and international)
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or comparable work/life experience
- 3-5 years of individual giving/development experience
- Demonstrated success in major gifts work, including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gifts
- Experience with fundraising campaigns and events
- Familiarity with CRMs (Salesforce a plus)
- Experience with various social media platforms, WordPress for website management, and MailChimp or other email marketing tools a plus
- Experience with advocacy groups (environmental groups a plus)
- Knowledge of the current trends in the philanthropic community, for example the growing use of donor advised funds for high net worth giving, the influence of the effective altruism movement on donors (a plus)
- A background in science/technology, environmental science, or experience with climate change issues, whether through education or past work, a plus
- Highly motivated self-starter, interest in and ability to shape and implement strategy and processes through collaboration with colleagues
- Superb communications and interpersonal skills, comfortable building and maintaining relationships both within the organization and with donors and prospects
- Fast learner, able to digest complex information and effectively communicate to donor community
- Highly organized and detail oriented, able to multitask in a deadline-driven environment
- Able to work independently in an entrepreneurial setting
To Apply: Email email@example.com with you resume and cover letter, please include “Development” in the subject line.