Communications Manager, Europe
Position Title: Communications Manager, Europe
Reports To: Communications Director, Europe
Location: Remote; flexible within Europe with a preference for Brussels area
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a nonprofit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of 150+ experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable. CATF has offices in Boston, Washington D.C., and Brussels, with staff working virtually around the world.
We seek a skilled and experienced policy communications professional to provide communications support to all CATF’s European work. The ideal candidate will have managed communications in a fast-paced, mission-driven advocacy organization and excel at both rapid response communications and proactive policy communications campaigns, with an understanding of energy advocacy and an interest in climate solutions. They will have expertise working with communications and public affairs firms on advocacy campaigns, and in writing and editing op-eds, blogs, press releases, statements, pitches, campaign materials and social media content on tight deadlines.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and manage CATF communications efforts around policy and technology advocacy in Europe, supporting the Communications Director, Europe, and in coordination with CATF’s global Communications team.
- Write and edit persuasive, accurate, and on-message communications materials to advance CATF’s strategy and goals in Europe and cross-regionally.
- Support strategic communications and messaging development, working in conjunction with the Communications, Advocacy, and Program teams, and with public affairs and external consultants.
- Coordinate communications efforts with other CATF programs and regional teams and manage internal processes to efficiently deliver relevant thought-leadership, stories, and insights to key targeted audiences.
- Devise, project-manage, and execute outreach plans for select CATF reports, white papers, and campaigns.
- Work with program and event leads to develop content, messaging and promotions for, both on and offline events.
- Work closely with the Communications team to draft content for CATF website (blogs and landing pages), earned media (pitches and press releases), social media (posts), campaign and email marketing (copy).
- Identify and secure speaking opportunities for CATF experts in Europe.
- Coordinate messaging and public outreach with other partners; identify potential partnerships with other organizations to amplify key issues and CATF’s Theory of Change.
- Develop earned media materials, build media lists, pitch CATF insights and experts to reporters.
- Expand CATF’s media relations capacity by cultivating and enhancing relationships with target climate, energy, and policy reporters.
- Proactively leverage news-making moments to drive awareness and interest in CATF’s work across diverse set of target audiences such as policymakers, industry influencers, donors/funders, and decision-makers.
- Provide communications and marketing support as needed, writing content, developing materials, and supporting the implementation and coordination of campaigns.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver audience-centric communication plans for individual and cross-programmatic initiatives by leveraging diverse channels, including media relations, social, events, campaigns, and partnerships.
- Support CATF’s global communications efforts outside of Europe as needed.
- Some travel required within Europe and occasionally to the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, marketing, liberal arts, environmental studies, or related field and/or appropriate combination of education and significant experience.
- At least five (5) years experience in communications, public affairs, or political campaigns, preferably in climate and energy advocacy.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Experience securing top tier media coverage. Active relationships with EU climate, energy, and policy professionals.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Must be comfortable working English. Additional German, French, Spanish or Italian language skills highly preferred.
- Excellent judgment and ability to communicate to a diverse, policy, industry, and stakeholder audience.
- Excellent collaboration skills and ability to work within a team.
- Ability to manage multiple competing deadlines and complex projects.
- Passion for CATF’s mission to push the technology and policy changes needed to achieve a zero-emissions, high-energy planet at an affordable cost.
Compensation and Location:
This is a remote, full-time position flexible within Europe, with a preference for the Brussels area. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Please follow this link to submit a resume, cover letter referencing the position title, and contact information for two to three professional and/or academic references.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.