LOCATION: Brussels, Berlin, or Amsterdam preferred.
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a non-profit global organization focused on driving the change in technologies and policies needed to get to a net zero carbon-emissions, high-energy planet at an affordable cost. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of two dozen experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable.
CATF is based in the United States, and headquartered in Boston. But it also operates globally through work with partners in Europe, Asia, Canada, Latin America, and in multilateral international forums ranging from the International Maritime Organization to the International Energy Agency to the Climate and Clean Air Coalition to the Responsible Steel Coalition.CATF is currently expanding its presence in Europe, and seeks to ramp up its public communications through this hire, with the goal of strengthening our advocacy in the region. Current areas of focus include advancing zero carbon fuels, such as hydrogen and ammonia, and pushing for public policies to rein in methane pollution from the oil and gas sector. Additional potential areas could include carbon capture and storage and advanced geothermal energy. Learn more about our efforts here: https://www.catf.us/work/.
As CATF’s communications lead in Europe, the Communications Director will work closely with European government affairs staff, issue experts based in the Europe and the United States, and European partner organizations to develop and execute public communications strategies in support of CATF’s program goals and objectives.
Primary duties and responsibilities of this position:
- Strategy Development – With CATF’s Europe team, lead the creation of communications strategies to support organizational goals and objectives in the region, focusing on both traditional and new media platforms.
- Media relations – Connect, cultivate and enhance personal working relationships with key trade and mainstream reporters – spanning print and broadcast outlets – in the climate and energy fields.
- Social media – Build CATF’s presence across a variety of popular social media platforms including LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Messaging – Spearhead the development of CATF external positions for proactive announcements and reactive statements.
- Written Materials – Write and/or edit and shepherd through approval process press statements, press releases, blogs and other written material for distribution to news media and/or posting on CATF website.
- ENGO Collaboration – Work with coalitions and individual NGO partners on external relations, especially the network of ENGOs across Europe advancing methane pollution standards for the oil and gas sector.
- Training – Prepare EU-based CATF spokespeople for media opportunities, including conducting formal media training sessions for newer staffers.
Skills/Experience/Education necessary for the position
- Bachelor’s degree along with at least five years of successful experience in a substantially similar role.
- Agile and flexible self-starter able to work on multiple competing deadlines and extending outside of usual work hours to accommodate team members in different time zones.
- English proficiency, other European language skills a plus.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to reporter inquiries, cognizant of the 24/7 news cycle.
- Expert implementer of social media campaigns.
- Highly organized self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit essential.
COMPENSATION AND LOCATION:
This is a full-time, funding-dependent position. CATF offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. CATF’s central office is in Boston, MA. This position will be based in Europe. CATF provides equal employment opportunities.
Please email a resume, referencing the position title, and cover letter including contact information for two to three academic and/or professional references to email@example.com.